Scheduled Reports can quickly become something you ignore unless they are correctly managed.
Management by exception focuses on identifying and handling cases that deviate from the norm i.e. you only want to be alerted if something new and unexpected has happened (new unknown competitors, new unknown search terms, new advert etc.)
When creating a report, first apply filters that return the results that you expect to see ('the norm'), then add exclusion filters until there is ‘No data found’.
If you then notice a report regularly reporting the same information, adjust the Saved Filter accordingly.
- Alert me when a new competitor appears on a specific search term
- Filter Market Share for a search term(s) then select Total device and exclude any of the competitors returned until ‘No data found’ is returned. Create a Scheduled Market Share Report to be sent if/when there is any competitor other than those you know about appearing on the term(s)
- Send me any new ads that contain the text ‘$’ or ‘£’ or ‘% off’ or ‘sale’, etc.
- Filter Top Ads for ‘New Ads’ and ‘Ad Text’ desired (be sure to exclude yourself to not be sent your own ads!). Create a Scheduled Report to be sent if/when there is an advert containing this text that could dramatically affect your ad’s performance
- Send me any ads where competitors are using my brand term
- Filter Top Ads for ‘Ad Text’ contains <your brand term> exclude yourself and any other competitors who are affiliates or partners allowed to use your Brand Term
- Alert me when a specific competitor appears on a new search term
- Filter Search Term Detail for a competitor, export the terms to CSV and create a new search term group. Filter Search Term Detail for the competitor and exclude the Search Term Group. Should be no data found. Create a Scheduled Report to be sent if/when the competitor appears on a new term other than those you are aware of
- Send me any new ads that a specific competitor(s) has started running last week
- Filter Top Ads for ‘New Ads’ and competitor(s). Schedule a report to run weekly for the last 30 days (you want ads that have run in last 7 but not in the 3 weeks prior)