Sometimes you might expect to see a specific competitor appearing in a Trend or Share report, but they don't.
There are several reasons why the expected competitor does not appear:
- The competitor is not running any paid advertising
- The competitor used to run PPC but not in the time frame selected
- Adthena has deemed this competitor as not important
- Other Reasons
The competitor is not running any paid advertising. The way to check this is:
- Within your account, navigate to Adverts on the left hand panel
- Click on Top Ads
- Click on Advanced Filters and then on Filter By
- From the drop down menu, Competitors will be selected by default
- In the search box, type the name of the competitor that you were expecting to see and click on Run
You will likely get no results, meaning they have not ran any paid advertisement in the last 30 days.
The competitor used to run PPC but not in the time frame selected. Check this by following these steps:
- From the date picker at the top right corner of Adthena, run the report for 6 months, for example.
If you get results, note the following:
- Under the Display Length column you will see when was the last time that Adthena saw the listed ad. You may see, for instance 'More than one week old"
- Right below, you will see the exact dates when the ad was live in the format dd/mm/yy
By checking this, you can be sure of when was the last time that your competitor ran a paid advert on Google.
Adthena has deemed this competitor as not important. There are a couple of easy ways to view this: Either...
- Navigate to Share on the left hand side panel
- Click on Advanced Filters and then Filter By
- From the drop down menu select Competitors
- In the search box, type the name of your competitor and your brand and click Run
The result is the Market Share for both you and your competitor. Note that the percentage of Share of Clicks or Share of Spend of your competitor is probably very low compared to yours. You can also check in All Competitors:
'A competitor is deemed relevant if they consistently have an inward or outwards overlap +1.5%. Competitors below this minimum threshold will not automatically appear in the app but you can see data by adding them as a 'Named Competitor' and data will be available within a few days.'
- The competitor does not appear on the first page of the Google Search Results [SERP]
- The competitor does not have at least 10 impressions in the time frame selected
- The domain you're looking for is different from the one the competitor is advertising from (i.e. co.uk vs .com)
Please sign in to leave a comment.