Sometimes you might expect to see a specific competitor appearing in a Trend or Share report, but they don't.
There are several reasons why the expected competitor does not appear:
- The competitor is not running any paid advertising
- The competitor used to run PPC but not in the time frame selected
- Adthena has deemed this competitor as not important
- Other Reasons
- Within your account, navigate to Adverts on the left hand panel
- Click on Top Ads
- Click on Advanced Filters and then on Filter By
- From the drop down menu, Competitors will be selected by default
- In the search box, type the name of the competitor that you were expecting to see and click on Run
You will likely get no results, meaning they have not ran any paid advertisement in the last 30 days.
- From the date picker at the top right corner of Adthena, run the report for 6 months, for example.
If you get results, note the following:
- Under the Display Length column you will see when was the last time that Adthena saw the listed ad. You may see, for instance 'More than one week old"
- Right below, you will see the exact dates when the ad was live in the format dd/mm/yy
By checking this, you can be sure of when was the last time that your competitor ran a paid advert on Google.
- Navigate to Share on the left hand side panel
- Click on Advanced Filters and then Filter By
- From the drop down menu select Competitors
- In the search box, type the name of your competitor and your brand and click Run
The result is the Market Share for both you and your competitor. Note that the percentage of Share of Clicks or Share of Spend of your competitor is probably very low compared to yours.
or go to All Competitors
If a competitor has an inwards overlap less than 1.5%, this means Adthena does not deem them as relevant and they will not appear in the app. You can of course override this by adding them to 'Named Competitors' and data will be available from the next day.
- The competitor does not appear on the first page of the Google Search Results [SERP]
- The competitor does not have at least 10 impressions in the time frame selected
- The domain you're looking for is different from the one the competitor is advertising from (i.e. co.uk vs .com)