Adthena has a RESTful API service that allows users to programmatically request their account data at scale.
To use the API you will need an API Key. To get it, just contact us via the Help widget at the bottom left in Adthena.
Why would you want to use an API service to request data?
If you want a few reports on a weekly basis then you could:
a) log into the application, load each of the pages you have bookmarked, export the data, open each CSV and do something with the data
b) set up scheduled reports to be emailed to you daily / weekly / monthly, open each CSV and do something with the data
These options are fine for a handful of reports or if you are pulling data monthly, but if you want to do this more regularly or you have a large number of reports to pull then it will quickly become an arduous task that can be made significantly more efficient by programming these steps into a script.
Use cases / examples:
- You want Market Trends data for a list of 12 (rather than 10) competitors
- You have 20 Search Term Groups, one for each product category (TVs, Mens Clothing, etc. or Compact Cars, Saloon Cars, etc.) and you want to pull a Market Share report every week for every group of terms, and put this data into 20 worksheets in an Excel workbook
- You want to add Market Trends Share of Clicks, Share of Spend, Average Position and Frequency charts to an internal dashboard for non-Adthena users to have visibility
- You want to pull a filtered Market Share report each month, then for each competitor in this report request a monthly Search Term Detail report and aggregate these into one CSV
- You want to see any adverts containing a '$' from a selection of competitors to track over time how your direct competitors are changing offers and prices in their ad copy over time
- You want to pull Search Term Opportunities directly into a Google Sheet so that you can use a Google Script to automatically add them to you Adwords account
This list could have literally an infinite number of other examples. If you have an idea and you are unsure of how it could be accomplished then let us know so that we can discuss it with you.
I am sure this could be useful, but do not know where to start
If you are not technical, but have a developer to work on this with you then the best thing to do is think about what you are trying to achieve ignoring how it would be done. If your end goal is to have a Market Trends widget in Tableau next to you Adwords, Google Analytics and Internal BI data then think about the date range it would show and the different filters you would want applied.
Once you have a clear idea then show your developer the export from Adthena that matches your requirements and the technical documentation on how to make calls the the API service: https://api.adthena.com/
VBA script to pull data into Excel [External website]