Top Ads shows paid desktop and mobile adverts that have been shown by you and your competitors when we searched for any of your search terms.
The table shows the ad text, count of the search terms that triggered the ad, how frequently it was seen and in which position(s). Also the time period over which it was seen. Using all of this information, the number of impressions that each advert received is estimated.
Insights that can be gained using this information:
- What offers, prices and calls-to-action are your competitors using?
- How is each offer or message affecting the average position?
- How many ads is each competitor running concurrently?
- How tailored are competitors ads to search terms or do they generally use generic messaging?
- How frequently do your competitors refresh their ad copy?
- Is a competitor AB testing? i.e. running similar ads then pausing those in the lower positions and continuing with the most successful ad
Top Ads can be filtered by competitor, group or by search term just like other pages in the application. There are also some additional filter options.
You can filter ads containing or excluding specific text
- Click on Filters to open the filter options
- Click either Filter by or Exclude
- Select Ad Text from the drop down
- Enter some text in the textbox then press Enter (key on keyboard)
- Click the Apply button to apply the filter
Note that the 'Ad Text' filter is treated as an AND filter rather than an OR like other filters in the application, so if multiple ad texts are entered then they must all appear in the advert
You can also filter for New Ads or Current Ads by selecting the desired checkbox in the filters section.
- 'New' returns ads that were first seen within a week of the selected end date.
- 'Current' returns ads that were last seen within a week of the selected end date.
If the start date selected is earlier than 30 days in the past then data is shown on a weekly basis, so any advert shown in that week will be included in the table. First shown date will be weekly rather than daily.
If the start date selected is earlier than 13 months in the past then data is shown on a monthly basis, so any advert shown in that month will be included in the table. First shown date will be monthly rather than weekly.
How is Estimated Impressions calculated?
Take Google's average monthly search volume for every search term we saw trigger a specific advert / 30 (days in a month) * Display Length * Frequency (which is weighted by search volume).
Do you have to have seen an advert every day during the first seen and last seen date?
The Display Length will be the difference between the first seen date and last seen date even if the advert was not seen every day during the period.
When does an advert show as 'Current' in the Display Length?
If Adthena saw that advert within the last 7 days of the chosen End Date then it will be marked as Current.
How can I see which Search Terms have triggered an ad to be shown?
Clicking on the Quick filter icon next to the count in the Search Terms column will open a new browser tab filtered for that specific advert.
Can I export the data and see all of the adverts in the grid?
Yes, click the Export button above the table and a CSV file will be created.