Competitor Groups can represent partners, niche competitors, market leaders or any other segment that may be useful to you. The groups can be resorted by toggling between All Competitors (shows all competitors whether they are in your group or not) or Groups Competitors Only (shows the competitors currently in the group).
The data in table represents the last 30 days. It shows the competitors within the group, the number of search terms we have seen you and this competitor appear on and the percentage of your terms that the competitor has appeared on. All columns can be resorted by clicking on the header and all data can be exported as a CSV file.
Tip! For your first group, we recommend creating a competitor group that includes up to ten of your top competitors as well as your own website. This allows you to quickly compare your performance in different markets.
Create a new Group
- In Competitor Groups you will see a list of any existing groups
- Click Create New Group in the top right corner
- Enter a name for the group and click Apply
- Add Competitors into the Group by typing the competitor domain in the Filter box or add in bulk via a CSV upload.
- Then click Add or Add all to right of the Competitor in the table.
- Remove Competitors individually or filter and Remove All to remove multiple Competitors
Edit an existing Group
- Click on Edit to the right of the Competitor Group in the Actions column
- Remove or filter and Remove All to remove competitors
- Either filter All Competitors to Add or Add all new competitors to the group
- Or add in bulk via a CSV upload
Delete a Group
- Click on a 'X' to the right of the Competitor Group in the Actions column
- Confirm that you wish to delete the group and delete
If there is a new entrant into your market or a niche website that you feel is particularly important, you can add them as a Named Competitor. This forces them into your account, making them an in-market competitor. It can be edited in the same way described above, but is a built in group and so cannot be deleted.
Note that it can take a few days for newly added Named Competitor to appear in the app.
How do I bulk upload Competitors or Search Terms using a CSV file?
- In Excel create a list of competitors or terms (one per row, no header). Each competitor should be a valid domain, i.e. 'adthena.com' or 'adthena.co.uk'
- Save the file as a .csv (in UTF-8 format)
- Either create a new group OR edit an existing one, click the Upload CSV button
- Select the CSV file you saved
- Once the file has finished processing, a message will appear above the competitors table with the number of competitors or terms successfully added
Where in the tool can I filter by these groups?
This functionality is available throughout the tool to segment all reports and charts.
Why does a competitor I uploaded not exist in the All Competitors list?
Uploaded competitors exist only in the group they were uploaded into. Once there are some search terms found for a competitor it will be available elsewhere.
Why was a competitor I uploaded in a CSV not added to the group?
Competitors need to have a valid TLD (top-level domain, i.e. '.com', '.co.uk') to be successfully added to a group. Without this they will be skipped.
Why can't I see my domain in the chart when I Filter by Competitor Groups?
To see your domain along with your competitors you will need to add your domain to the Competitor Groups you would like to see reports on.
Does Adthena show historical data on a newly added competitor to Named Competitors?
Once a competitor is added to Named Competitors, providing it's not a new domain altogether, then it is possible to see historical data for them. However, we cannot 100% guarantee the accuracy of the data (or even measure it) as the data has been aggregated. We therefore recommend users to only use data from the date it was added.
I added a competitor as a 'Named Competitor' but now I want to remove the competitor from my Whole Market View. What are the steps?
If you no longer deem a competitor as important to your Whole Market view, removing them from the Named Competitors group will be sufficient. If you don't want to see any data appearing for the competitor moving forward then we recommend adding them to the Ignored Competitors group. This would ensure that it never becomes relevant your market and isn't included in reporting.
Please sign in to leave a comment.