Infringement Rules enable you to easily capture adverts that are appearing on your Brand Terms on Google and Bing search engines. Key benefits include:
- Save money by monitoring channel partners or resellers who are competing too aggressively on your brand terms
- Monitor affiliates to ensure they are using the correct ad copy and are not bidding on restricted terms such as your brand terms (and receiving commission on resulting leads)
- Monitor competitors who are illegally using your trademarks in their ad copy
In this article, we'll show you how to:
- Create an Infringement Rule
- Set rules for Search Terms
- Set rules for Competitors
- Infringement Advert Text
- Edit an existing Infringement Rule
To create your first Infringement Rule, navigate to the Infringements section in the left navigation menu, then go to Infringement Rules > New Infringement Rule > Set up your first infringement rule.
First enter a Rule Name and then apply Filters by selecting which device and search engine you would like to monitor. If you do not have Mobile enabled in your account but would like to track this activity, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
Optionally, add email addresses for colleagues you would like to receive the CSV report; after entering each email address you must hit the Add button.
You may want to receive an email daily even if no infringements were found the following day. In that case check the box Send daily email even if no infringements found; if left unchecked you will only get an email if Adthena found an infringement that matches the rules you have set.
For further information, please see Infringement Rules - Best Practice & Tips.
After you have named your report, added filters and decided on email recipients, you’ll want to begin setting report rules for Search Terms, Competitors & Advert Text.
Enter any Search Terms that you want Adthena to monitor, such as your brand terms:
- Click on the Add Search Terms button
- Enter a term into the text box
- Press Enter on your keyboard. Note that you are able to enter terms not shown in the dropdown
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 until all the terms have been entered
- Click on Competitors
- To monitor a specific set of competitors, such as your affiliates, select the option Only the following competitors. Alternatively, the All competitors except option should be used to specify competitors that you know will be appearing on the terms consistently, such as your own domain!
- Click Add Competitor
- Enter a valid domain (such as 'adthena.com') into the text box. Note that a list appears of domains that match the text you typed but you can enter a domain that does not appear in the list if required
- Press Enter on your keyboard
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 until all the competitors have been entered
If you want to report on all adverts then skip this step. However, if you want to include only adverts that include specific phrases in the ad copy, such as your Trademarked terms, then you’ll need to complete the following steps:
- Click on Add Text
- Enter a phrase (such as your brand term). Note that you are able to enter terms not shown in the dropdown
- Press Enter on your keyboard
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 until all phrases have been entered
- Choose where in the advert you want searched for the phrase, Titles, Descriptions or URLs.
Once all rules all have been configured, click the Save button at the top right of the page.
- Click Infringements > Infringement Rules in the left navigation menu
- Find the rule you want to edit
- In the Actions column click the Edit button
- Make your changes and click the Save button at the top right of the page.
Which search engines does Adthena monitor for Infringements?
Google and Bing
Can I monitor Infringements in any country?
Adthena captures all Google adverts in every country where we operate; Bing is currently only available in the United States, Australia and the United Kingdom.